EGUSI SOUP (FRYING METHOD)

Hey guys, it's me again. I hope you all enjoyed the weekend because for me it was overall a "mission accomplished" weekend. My week started out a bit rough, with classes and labs, not to talk of all the assignments. However, it was all worth it because at the end of the week, "mrs gusi" came through.

So you know how in my last post I was like I needed to make soup for the week (or however it lasts for, because student life😉). Yeah so guess what!!!
On Friday evening after classes, I said goodbye to laziness and procrastination and I prepared my beloved "Egusi soup". For those of you who do not know what this is, Egusi soup is a soup mainly made with melon seeds (not water melon though). It is usually eaten with dried cassava flour made as "eba" or  "fufu" (which is usually made with cassava flour also) or any other Nigerian "swallow".






Everyone has different ways they make their Egusi soup. Some people prefer to just boil which known as the caking method, while some prefer frying first. Sit back and relax as I take you on the journey of how I like to make my Egusi soup😃😃.

Here's what you'll need:
2 large tomatoes
1 hot cherry pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 onion
1-2 tspns of grinded cray fish
1-2 cooking spoons of grinded melon
Spinach or bitter leaf
palm oil
salt, stock cubes
meat stock
chicken,meat or fish (your choice)

Directions:
1. Blend tomatoes, onions and peppers together.
2. Boil blended mixture
   Note:This is optional, But for best result, i like to do this to get rid of excess water and any slapping taste from the tomatoes
3. If you're using meat or chicken, pre-cook them a bit with stock cubes, onions and salt.

4. Mix melon with small water to form a paste and make sure there are no lumps.
5. Next, heat three cooking spoons of palm oil in a pot and pour in melon paste. Keep stir frying for about 5-7mins and make sure every grain of the melon mixes with the oil.
6.  Pour blended tomatoes into stir fried melon, and fry some more.
7. Once the blended tomato, melon and oil are fully mixed and fried, add meat stock and add some more water if needed. Then allow to boil.
Note: If you'll be using bitter leaf, you should add it once you've added the stock and water so it boils together with the soup.
8. Add grinded cray fish, salt and stock cubes to taste.
9. Add meat to soup and allow soup to cook for about 20-30mins, while stirring it from time to time. Once it's almost done, add spinach once almost done.



TIP: When is egusi soup is done, you can notice the oil from the top of the soup.


AND YOUR SOUP IS READY TO BE ENJOYED!




Note: So guys, I noticed I didn't save some of  the step by step pictures I took while cooking this soup because my battery ran down. So the next time I make it, i'll try to make a video just like i did for my "coconut rice" for those of you who want it more detailed. For now just be patient with me, we're getting to the top gradually😊😊. Feel free to leave any improvements you'd like to see on the blog in the comment section.




Comments

Popular Posts